I see lots of articles telling people why they should be using social media to market themselves, their company, their products and services and how easy it will be. But I’d like to suggest that there are many reasons not to do it yourself. Here are my top ten:
- You hate all things technology based.
- You don’t own a smart phone and can see no reason to.
- You think people who are into social media are idiots/mad/inadequate.
- You don’t “get it”.
- You are not good at or are not interested in learning new things.
- Social media scares you/stresses you/makes you angry.
- You don’t want people to know what you are doing.
- You cannot cope with any new business/work/clients/sales.
- You’ve no time to think about what you’re doing on social media, let alone actually doing it.
- You don’t have any sense of visual aesthetics.
The art of good management is delegation.
If you can relate to one or more of the above ten reasons, you need to take a hard look at why you are using social media as a marketing tool. If you accept it is an inevitable need for your business then you should get an expert, or an experienced enthusiast, to do it for you.
If you are a small business, self-employed, or run a charity, you generally have to be a jack of all trades, but also you need to know where to draw the line. It’s an issue of effectively managing your resources, including your time as a resource.
You can’t do everything yourself. You should focus on doing the things you like, do well and work for your business, and then outsource those things that you are not so good at or enthusiastic about doing. It’s not a failing, it’s what successful people do.
What you do need to do is to understand enough about the digital and social media landscape to have a marketing plan for using those channels, so you are able to brief someone to work for you and assess whether you are getting value for money.
Where can you find people to help?
There are several agencies where you can find good people who can help:
Please print this and pass it on
Obviously the main group of people that the list applies to won’t actually see this post so if you know anyone who might find it useful perhaps you could print it or email it to them using the links at the bottom. Thanks.