I finished this video yesterday, which was made over a couple of days from start to finish, but not working on it constantly.  I thought others might find it useful to know the steps involving in making it, so here they are:

1 The track was recorded on Tascam DR-07MKII Digital Voice Recorder. This was saved as a .wav file and imported on to Win8 laptop.

2 I then used Audacity to edit the track. It only needed minor editing to trim the start and ends and level out the volume in one bit. The track was then exported from Audacity as an MP3 file.

3 I then opened the MP3 file in Audacity and listened to it against a Word file of the lyrics and added time points for key images in the lyrics.

4 I transferred these key time points into an Excel spreadsheet (although on reflection it would have been quicker to add the lyrics to the spreadsheet in the first place). Then I added a column to calculate the time difference between each point for the time each image to be on the screen.

5 Then I sourced images from my own collection and by searching on flickr.com using the advanced search for images that are shared by creative commons (CC) licence. (When I am using CC images I either favourite them or add them to a gallery so that I can easily find them again for crediting.  I could record all of the info at the time but I find that interrupts the creative process and at this stage I may not actually use all of the image I find.)

I downloaded the images from flickr in medium to large format (at least 1024 pixels wide if available) and save them all in one project folder.

6 Next I cropped all of the images to 16:9 aspect ratio using Windows Photo Gallery 2012 tools, because I was intending to make a video with that aspect ratio for Youtube. Cropping them in Photo Gallery is quicker than messing about cropping them in PowerPoint.

7 Then I used PowerPoint 2010 to create a slide presentation, first setting the master slide to 16:9 ratio. I added images and text and set up transitions and duration of the slides in the transitions tab to match the times that I had in my spreadsheet. I used PowerPoint as I knew I wanted to have some text over the images and also some animated words slides.

I could have skipped the adding of the time of each slide, but the advantage is it allowed me to preview how the video would look as I was going along using the slideshow feature in PowerPoint.

8 When I had it close to what I wanted I saved the presentation as a Windows Media Video (.wmv) file. This does take a while to save, so is a task to leave running while going off and doing something else.

An alternative that I have used for other things would be to save the slides as jpeg images. If you are  going to do this it is better to change the settings on your PowerPoint to save images at the highest resolution possible (300dpi) rather than the default.  (How to here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827745)

9 Next step was to import the wmv video file and the mp3 music file into Windows Movie Maker (Version 2012) and then do some minor editing to shorten some bits and stretch others to make the sound and images marry up. Then finally I saved the video for high definition display (1080p).

Windows Movie Maker used to be included with older versions of Windows (Vista and XP), but with Win8 it is still free but you need to download it (and sometimes it doesn’t work so well without some tweaking). Free download here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/get-movie-maker-download. It’s not mega sophisticated, but that means there isn’t a steep learning curve, and I find it perfectly adequate for short YouTube videos.

Advertisements